“Just take a bath!”, “Go get yourself a manicure!”, “Treat yourself!” I swear if I had one more person tell me “just to make a little time” for myself I was going to lose it. Yet mamas are constantly encouraged to participate in these kinds of self care, while no one is talking about unconventional self-care strategies for mamas.
It’s not that self-care isn’t necessary- it is! I spend every day teaching my clients how to incorporate self-care into their daily routine because I believe we can’t show up for others until we show up for ourselves. However, we need to think outside the box. We need to consider unconventional self-care strategies for mamas.
Self care has become a buzz word, IMHO. Pampering and travel can be part of self-care for many but often times it doesn’t help us deal with the underlying needs, anxieties, fears or stressors that cause us to really need self-care in the first place. And it doesn’t address the fact that self- care looks different in motherhood because life is different in motherhood. Alternative self-care strategies for mamas have to be considered.
I believe that self-care:
- A) Needs to be considered essential (especially these days) and
- B) Needs to address the root issue of what you’re dealing with, and not just treat the symptoms.
Opt for one of these 9 unconventional self-care strategies for mamas and fill your cup.
- Unfollow social media accounts that trigger comparison.
- Be picky with your friends. Opt for quality over quantity.
- Find a focus outside of your kids.
- Have uncomfortable conversations. Say the tough stuff aloud.
- Get off apps like Pinterest that make you feel inadequate.
- Eat foods to nourish your body, not to change your body.
- Get creative. Utilize other parts of your brain.
- Take action on ANYTHING. Feel accomplished.
Love tips like this? Sign up for the free newsletter so you can get more great self-care hacks in your inbox!